Friday, June 11, 2010

Malt chocolate ice cream with Oreo cookie crunch: Bring you back the delicious memory!

As I told you the last time that Oreo will come in the post, haha. Now you can see it, but this time the Oreo come hand in hand with one of my childhood favorite "Ovaltine". The malt chocolate that we usually got a big mug of it when we were children.
I love this drink, esp. when the teacher gave one glass of Ovaltine for all the children when the doctor came to vaccinate us.
Oh, it's a long time ago, ^ ^, but I like to think about the sweet taste of the cold Ovaltine (in Thailand they served us cold one), it's very soothing for the little children when they just cried from the doctor's room.


At that time I still love it to be very sweet (everybody did!) haha, we just eat or drink less sweet when we grow up.
When I saw the recipe in Goodfood magazine, I think "Oh, I must try this!" I think it will be great to bring back the childhood favorite in new form. But I need to make some adjustment because I don't want my Ovaltine ice cream to be very sweet (I don't need that sweet taste now, and I'm not afraid of the doctor or the needle anymore hehe).
So I use only half of the sugar from the original recipe, and the result is fabulous, the thick ice cream gives the great taste, the chocolate, the Ovaltine and the Oreo get along together in lovely harmony.
The chocolate add more intense chocolate taste, when the Ovaltine makes the ice cream smell sweet and Oreo, well, I don't have to say much about it only the fact that it makes this ice cream more delicious!
I make it 3 times now (I don't have a chance to take the photo when making the first batch of it, so you can see that it's very popular, haha).
So, let's make a delicious treat that will bring back a great memory of our childhood day and I know that you will be happy as much as me.







Malt chocolate ice cream with Oreo cookie crunch
SERVES 8 






750ml/l¼pts ...................... milk
250ml/9fl oz ....................... double cream
6 ............................................ egg yolks
70 g/2.5 oz .......................... sugar 
85g/3oz ............................... milk chocolate, chopped
25g/1oz ............................... plain chocolate, chopped 
140g/5oz ............................ Ovaltine (chocolate malt)
154g .................................... Oreo cookies, broken into chunks about the size of a large pea


1 Bring the milk and cream to a simmer in a pan. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until combined. Pour the milk onto the eggs, stirring well. Pour this back into a cleaned-out saucepan.

Slowly heat through for about 10 mins, stirring all the time. Don’t allow the liquid to simmer It should thicken as it heats up and is ready when it’s thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. 
2 Pour the hot custard mix over the chocolate in a bowl and allow it to melt. Add the Ovaltine and whisk until smooth. 

3 Cool, then churn in an ice-cream machine. As it thickens, add the biscuits. Freeze. 

Malt chocolate ice cream with Oreo cookie crunch: 
Bring you back the delicious memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...